Work Week Lunch Made Easy - Chicken Burrito Bowl

Chicken Burrito Bowls are a staple on my monthly meal planning. I love them because they make a lot, and my daughter and I don't have huge appetites so I can actually spread this recipe out into 6-7 bowls most of the time. These are great for lunch or dinner, and if you have extra calories available you can even serve them with flour or corn tortillas. This is one of my most flavorful dishes and leaves me full for hours! Try it for yourself and see 😊


Chicken Burrito Bowl
2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 bell peppers, any color, sliced
1 large red onion, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
Salt and pepper
1 jar salsa
3 cups cooked brown rice, divided
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 lime, sliced into wedges 
Fresh cilantro to garnish
PREPARATION
Preheat oven to 400˚F/200˚C.
Line a baking sheet with foil.
Place the chicken, peppers, and onions onto the baking sheet and drizzle with oil.
Sprinkle the taco seasoning evenly over both sides of the chicken breasts. 
Salt and pepper the peppers and onions, tossing to coat. 
Top each chicken breast with a generous pour of salsa.
Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes. 
Rest chicken for 10 minutes, before slicing into strips. 
Add a base of brown rice to 4 food storage containers. Top each with 1/4 of the of black beans, corn, additional salsa, cheddar cheese, cooked peppers and onions, and sliced chicken. Garnish with fresh cilantro and a lime wedge. 
Store in the refrigerator, can be kept refrigerated for up to 4 days.

Makes 4 bowls, nutrition per bowl:
Calories: 508
Fat: 8.6
Carbs: 57.6
Protein: 50.9

Workouts....oh how I dread you sometimes 😔 
I am blessed to have my own dumbells, squat rack, bench, elliptical, TRX and anything I would need to workout right here in the comforts of my own home and garage. But on a lazy cold Sunday like today I did not want to get off the couch. I had given into my lazy habits both Friday and Saturday and didn't workout, so today was about to follow suit.Today I woke up ready to get back on the path to health: I ate a healthy breakfast and lunch, then dinner went way out into the calorie badlands followed by an even worse post dinner dessert. I was sitting sulking in the misery of my overeating and bad choices when I saw my goals that I had written out and the photos of my once much fitter self  that I had taped in random spots all over the house. That was all it took, visually seeing my goal. So I drug myself out into my frigid garage and got to work, no better way to jump back in from a few days off than with a leg workout that left my legs feeling like wet noodles. 

If you do not have access to workout equipment at home, or don't have a gym membership, don't worry! There are plenty of workouts you can do at home with no equipment! Here is a quick leg set I like to do for a change:


This week just remember:



This doesn't have to mean physical pain, because you don't need to over do it in your workouts and hurt yourself. However for me, my pain is skipping my favorite foods....sweets and junk food! 

Comments